Sunday, November 13, 2011

Background

I've always had digestive issues...even when I was as young as 18. I was diagnosed with IBS then, and always chalked any issues to the easily diagnosed problem.

Here I am 15 years later with more of the same issues, plus some. In July 2011, after a 4th of July feast, I began hurting in my upper abdomen, right under my sternum. It lasted several weeks and I visited my PCP. She suggested an ultrasound to rule-out my gallbladder. My test came back negative and my PCP then referred me to a gastroenterologist. He suspected IBS and even an ulcer. He gave me probiotics and a digestive anti-inflammatory. As I was about to leave his office, I made mention, "could this be celiac?" He said he wouldn't rule it out before getting a blood test.

Two weeks later, I still had pain and symptoms. But I also had a phone call from the gastro nurse telling me the blood test came back for celiac. She said all signs point to celiac but they want to do an EGD with biopsy to be certain.

Currently I have private health insurance with a sky high deductible. I will be taking a full time position after Thanksgiving at the hospital where I've been working PRN for the last three years. I have a few friends who tell me the EGD is not necessary if the blood test comes back positive. I'm still on the fence about it. Please share your thoughts.

I am in the beginning stages of learning what I can and cannot eat. I have found several things I love! One thing I am so glad I can eat is rice.

We are going to TTC in the spring of 2012 so I'll have a gluten free pregnancy. More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment